Who Am I??

An environmental engg turned Software Engg working for a MNC. U cn call me Peenuts..thats what my long lost frend used 2 call me, and its in his memory.

10/22/07

Lets Go Green..

My company has taken a "Let's go green" initiative in which it plans to reduce its energy footprint by using environment friendly techniques... as a part of that initiative all of us were provided with coffee mugs, which wud help reduce our dependency on Paper/Plastic cups and help reduce pollution....a commendable effort and i would like 2 use this blog as a medium to thank all those behind the scenes who made this possible...

Btw here r Some facts..

  • Every Sunday, more than 500,000 trees are used to produce the 88% of newspapers that are never recycled.
  • Every year some 45,000 tons of plastic waste are dumped into the world's oceans. One of the results of this is that up to one million seabirds and one hundred thousand marine mammals are killed each year by plastic trash such as fishing gear, six-pack yokes, sandwich bags, and styrofoam cups.
  • Paper cups consume trees, water, and chemicals, and dump them into streams and landfills- they are not re-cyclable. Paper cups are often wax-coated which reduces their bio-degradeability futher. Paper products make up over 40 percent by weight , slightly higher by volume - of this country's municipal solid waste, by far the largest contributor. Paper Recycling and its role in Solid Waste Management. Every year nearly 900,000,000 trees are cut down to provide raw materials for American paper and pulp mills. (Business Stastistics, 1986)

"Save Trees, Use your own Mug"

3 comments:

Aditi said...

here is something else i read that plastic cna be recycled still.. styrofoam cannot and it takes longer to disintegrate...so styrofoam is worse...
preity zinta also has been going around advocating the use of cloth bags and to stop using plastic bags..

Deepanjan said...

No leads regarding getting my laptop insured, pal! I do have a rather archaic solution to the problem though. I've physically secured my laptop to the wardrobe using the chains available at the railways to secure your luggage!!!
I do have the conventional laptop lock, but I cant use it for my wardrobe since I keep my machine inside the carry bag that came alone with it (which itself I lock)!!! Call me a fanatic!!!

Reeta Skeeter said...

I use my own mug :)

Book Reviews